Choices Flooring is one of Australia’s leading Floor dealers, with over 130 stores across the country.
The Claims department of Choices Flooring were in dire need of a redesign for their intranet-based Insurance Allocation application.
In the beginning of 2012, I was asked to redesign the Insurance Allocation application.
Over the years the old application had gained a lot of cruft, unused features, and became quite painful to use.
The main page of the application is a table, which used horizontal scrolling (ugh!), was hard to read (tiny type, anyone?) and was impossible to filter by status.
After consulting the people who have to work with the application on a daily basis we made a list of improvements, and I got to work.
- The main feature became the claims search.
- The statuses got Gmail style colored labels.
- Some columns became sortable.
- A lot of unused features were removed.
- Increased the font size.
- Changed the overall appearance, the harsh yellow background became a soft gray, the buttons now look clickable, links now have hover styles and form elements have focus styles, etc.
I started with wire-frames, which were signed off quickly enough and dived into Photoshop. The PSDs went to the original developer, who swiftly took care of the implementation.